3.13 Create Multiple Objects
Level of expertise required for this Chapter: Advanced; general Map Maker training
You can create many copies of the same objects. For example, you draw a parcel of a defined size and shape and want many ‘copies’ of this parcel next to each other in a housing scheme.
1. Preparation to set the display labels in square meters:
Main menu > File > System set up > Units and scales > Set up window: Unit for area: sq.metres > OK
Main menu > Edit > Live layer options > Live layer label options > Live layer labels window: Display label + Area > OK >
2. Draw the unit as precise as possible.
Polygon-tool (at toolbar left) > Draw polygon (1, see below; accordingly, with lines or points) > OK > If you want to adjust the size or shape of the polygon, use the Edit-tool to move the vertex point. With the Tape-tool, measure the width and the height of the object (in meters).
3. After you have defined the parcel, you can make multiple copies in horizontal and/or vertical direction. You can’t copy to other directions, but see step 7 below to handle different directions.
With the Select-tool from the toolbar left, you select the unit(s) to be copied > Main menu > Edit > Show selection manager > Selection Manager window: Actions > Basic operations > Generate duplicate objects > Generate duplicate objects window: Number of columns: Enter the number of copies, you want to have to the right (2) > Number of rows: Enter the number of copies, you want to have above (3) > Column spacing: Enter the meters, you measured under previous step 2 for the width of the object (4) > Row spacing: Enter the meters, you measured under previous step 2 for the height of the object (5) > Units: metres (6) > Leave ‘Generate horizontal lines’ unticked, same with vertical lines (7) > OK (8)
4. You now have multiple copies.
You will have to fine-tune the result:
5. Use the Snap-tool to be sure, that all borders fit to each other.
6. Check, that there are only the selected polygons in your live layer. Main menu > Edit > Show Selection Manager > Selection Manager window: Find > Find all > Find > If there are any lines, as shown in example below: Delete them
If you want to move or change direction of the entire block, you can do so now.
With the Select-tool from the toolbar left, you select the entire block > Main menu > Edit > Show Selection Manager > Selection Manager window: Actions > Transformations > Use: ‘Shift coordinates of vectors’, if you want to move (shift) the entire block by a given distance (in meters), or use ‘Rotate coordinate of vectors’, if you want to rotate
- - - -
If you have a polygon and want to divide it into 2 equal parts, you can use the external module ‘Half poly’ (supplied by TCPD-HQ / LUPMIS; see <a href="a11_installation_and_configuration.html#step23">step 2.3 of Annex 1.1.1</a> for installation).
1. Copy the polygon to be divided into a separate DRA file.
2. In Windows Explorer, in folder C:\Map Maker: Double-click on ‘HalfPoly.exe’ > Half polygons window: Choose DRA file > Select file, as created at the previous step > Open > Run > Specify new file name > Save > Close Half polygons window
The polygon is now cut along its longest axis into 2 polygons of the same size. You can continue to split these polygons, to come up with 4, 8, 16... equally-sized polygons.
- - - -
An alternative to draw multiple lines or polygons has been programmed in the Permit Database (outside of standard Map Maker), see Chapter 8.4.1.